Tuesday, August 18, 2009

MICHAEL VICK AAHHHHHH OMG


Since the public outcry for an update has turned into an uproar, here you go.

As I am writing this, I realize the one great thing about the Michael Vick saga is that it pushes Brett Favre off the frontpage. Even now that the Favre rumors have started again (shocking), it is much more important to ESPN that Donovan McNabb and Michael Vick are BFFs.

I was going to write about Vick before he was signed by the Eagles. Obviously, the signing changes things a lot, especially since he was picked up by my favorite team. But I will try to convey what I was going to say before this all happened.

When watching the Vick coverage on ESPN and everything else before he got signed, it seemed that a lot of players, coaches, analysts, etc. actually felt bad for him. That he "deserved a second chance" (how many times have we heard that recently?).

Anyway, if you are one of those who "felt bad" for Vick, I have two words for you: stop talking. Why should we feel bad for him? Listen, I do not own a dog or have any emotional attachments to them. I like dogs, but who doesn't? (well, except, you know) I absolutely hate PETA. I think they are the second most evil organization in the world next to Al-Qaeda. But obviously what Vick did is deplorable, and I don't feel bad that he lost all of his money and went to jail.

I'm all for second chances in life, and sure, guys who are in prison for doing terrible things can be remorseful and change their lives when they get out blah blah whatever. But we don't have to feel sorry for these people for messing their lives up and then not being able to put it back together again. The fact is Vick would have never been able to get his old job back in any other line of work, except maybe veterinarian. So please, Andy, Donovan, everyone else, please stop talking about second chances and just talk about how he's gonna play football.

So yeah, on to the football part of it. I'm excited to see how Vick will be used with the Eagles. I mean, we just got the world's best decoy, that's for sure. I can't wait until the first time he trots out onto the field, lines up at wide receiver, the defense freaks out, and meanwhile McNabb throws it to DeSean Jackson for a 60 yard TD. I think everyone who "is not going to be an Eagles fan anymore because of Vick" will shut up. (As an aside, I really hope the Phillies sign Vick next season too so all of the fake Phillies fans go away just like the fake Eagles fans are now.)

Purely from a football sense, I think this is a good move for the Eagles. Even if he does nothing this season, they can cut their ties with him at the end of the year, and PETA will move on to be idiots about something else. If he's good, they can keep him for next season, and maybe even trade him to the Raiders for their first round pick or something.

So, in summary, I don't like Vick the person, but I can get behind Vick the player. And if you're really an Eagles fan, you will too.

1 comment: